Fall is finally here, and it is time to learn new skills, make new friends, and renew art friendships. Not only is WaxCentric coming out of a long hiatus, but we have a new home! Join me for a WC studio open house on Sunday, Sept. 27, 12pm-2pm.
Last Fall I was juried-in as a new studio artist at The Foundry Art Centre, St. Charles, MO. A double-studio on the river side of the building came available at the end of June. Updates to the sprinkler system were done in early July, and 6 days of electrical updates were completed last Friday.
I started moving in 2 weeks ago: moving boxes by car, painting walls, cleaning the floor, assembling shelving units, laying out table placements on the floor with tape for the new electrical drop-boxes (thank you Foundry and city of St. Charles!!!). I am about 50% moved in. Next week I hope to make and install tables, move my large flat files, press, and the rest of the studio stuff.
The new space will start with:
- 4, 36″x80″ work tables with dedicated hot plates, heat guns and support materials and tools for encaustic. (Tables can me moved as needed for bigger projects.)
- Up to 4 chairs per table, as needed for participants and projects
- a 24″x48″ press bed etching press for printing encaustic-plexi plate monoprints/monotypes as well as traditional etchings and collagraphs.
- a printmaking work bench for inking plates and rolling up Akua water-based inks
- a Paula Roland Hot Box for encaustic monoprints/monotypes
- a large drying rack for class/workshop projects.
- a double-high flat file for storage demo/work station
- storage shelves for the studio, as well as class projects in progress
- some bulk materials that can be ordered at discount (beeswax, damar crystals, papers, …) and available for purchase by class/workshop participants.
I will start offering open-studio access in October, and a combination of class/workshops and open-studio time in November. I will be working on scheduling my classes, as well as WaxCentric workshops and meetings next week. Tentatively, studio hours will be Tues-Sat., 10am-4pm (working around calendar holidays, and local events).
In the meantime, pencil in a party! Come party with me for a WC studio open house on Sunday, Sept. 27, 12pm-2pm. I will have snacks and beverages. (Bring something to pass if you want to, I never turn down someone else’ treats!) I can’t wait to hear about what everyone has been working on. Then go enjoy Oktoberfest in Old St Charles http://www.historicstcharles.com/includes/events/Oktoberfest/774/).
Along with Oktoberfest, there is run on the historic streets on Sunday, and so many streets will be closed earlier in the day. The Foundry parking lot is going to be locked before noon, but will be open and available at noon. Should be clear on Clark to get to the Foundry at noon.
The Foundry doors will be unlocked, so come up to the mezzanine by the stairs at the front and back of the building, or by elevator at the back of the building. My studio, #7-8, is on the river side of the building.
I will be working on moving in, and will be in and out between 10am and 4 pm Tuesdays – Friday. Come see me in studio #7-8.
Can’t wait to see everyone,